Friday, February 22, 2008

CAMELBAK WATER BOTTLE


We all know the drink water drill. Stay hydrated, drink eight glasses a day, our bodies are 75% water, etc. etc. While I think Nalgenes are a great idea in theory, I found myself often frustrated with the screw on/screw off top. When trying to drink out of a wide mouthed bottle I found myself spilling more than I was actually drinking and eventually gave the whole thing up.

A few months ago, a friend commented on how much more water she finds herself drinking when she uses this Nalgene-esque water bottle from Camelback. Last month I finally picked up one for myself and am madly in love with the design. The built-in straw really does encourage more water consumption and stops any spillage before it happens. I love that I only unscrew the top when I’m filling the bottle itself and then I am able to just flip up the straw and drink.

It does take a minute to get used to the idea of biting the blue top of the straw to get water but after a day I doubt you'll give it a second thought. (And no, amazingly enough, the bite marks don’t show.) It’s portable, functional, and comes in several snazzy colors.

One tip the folks where I made my purchase passed along is to not put the bottle or the straw/lid contraption in the dishwasher. Apparently, over time the heat breaks down the plastic materials in said bottle and that's just not healthy.

So, to review: Drinking plenty of clean water? Yes. Plastic breaking down in that water? No. Stick with hand-washing this one.

Average Price $12.00

Rating: 5 out of 5!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started using Nalgene bottles and I'm definitely frustrated by both of the pitfalls you mentioned (spillage and screw-top). I'll have to give the camelbak water bottle a try!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I already took your advice before I even read this. :-)

Anonymous said...

I just found my way over to pink mixer! How fun. And I do agree with the 5 mixer rating of the camelback waterbottle! It has revolutionized my water drinking experience. I have another tip about it... Make sure you get into the little blue "nipple" thing and give it a good clean when you are hand washing it. It can get a little funky in there.