Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Burt's Bees Milk and Honey Body Lotion

The older I get, the more I realize that if you search hard enough you can find any sort of scientific study to support whatever you choose to believe. The jury seems to still be out on whether or not parabens are as harmful as some studies lead us to believe and while I can’t tell you I’ve been able to wipe my makeup clear of all products containing parabens, when given the option I purchase paraben-free. Why risk it, right? An educated consumer is a powerful consumer!

Normally, between all the random Christmas and birthday gift baskets I’ve received over the years I tend to have enough body lotion lurking around my apartment to moisturize even the largest army. Believe it or not though, after promising myself I would by no more lotion(!) until I used every drop of what I already owned, I finally found myself lotion free – and in need of more – last week. I suppose I am getting ahead of myself. Before we go any further in this product review, you should know that I am an avid lotion user. Not a single day of the year goes by that I don’t apply right after my morning shower, so when it came to actually make a lotion purchase – instead of grabbing the next bottle out of my bathroom closet – I was a tad overwhelmed. Have you ever looked down the body lotion isle at CVS? Ee-gaads!

The minute I decided I would purchase paraben-free lotion though, my options diminished drastically. (Sad, that.) I settled on Burt’s Bee’s – a company that has produced other products I’ve been extremely pleased with in the past. I’m happy to report their Milk and Honey Body Lotion didn’t disappoint. In fact, I’m smack in the middle of a grade-school crush on this lotion. Its’ smell is just sweet enough to make me smile yet is subtle enough to not overpower even a light scented perfume. The lotion glides on without leaving my skin feeling sticky or greasy and keeps me moisturized all day. I’m trying this product just as spring is trying to fight off winter here in Boston and this lotion is definitely a perfect match for spring, summer, and fall days – my only concern would be it wouldn’t moisturize quiet enough in the deep, long, bitter days of a New England winter. Thankfully, I have several months before I have to think about those types of days and what moisturizer would be appropriate again!

Average price: 8oz./$9

Rating: 4 out of 5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Burt's Bees!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful review and site. Burt's Bees has an interesting corporate history. As I recall, Burt picked up an anonymous, female hitch-hiker in the days when he was truly a mere bee-keeper; took her back to his palatial estate where they began to formulate and market his initial products. Shortly after initial success, she either forced or brought him out for a pittance and ultimately sold the company to a corporation for many millions. Burt lost.










very

Anonymous said...

I highly, highly reccomend Nature's Gate Organics lotion line....it's really incredible stuff.

Also, I have fallen in love with giovanni's organic product line (especially the smooth as silk conditioner). The body wash is also incredible.

Paraben-free and proud of it :)